Explore. Dream. Discover.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

a visit to a children’s home...

Another thing I wrote a long time ago, but it’s worth sharing. Sorry for mistakes and so on, but I don’t want to read it again. :)

So I was to a children’s home. I told you about this thing that Cesky Rozhlas organizes for kids from children’s homes... Based on that I bought some toys last year and took them to this children’s home (it’s close to my hometown, so I thought I could go there and just give it to them...) So I did, and last year, it was ok, I arrived quite late, they didn’t have time to show me around, which was just the best way. I mean – I don’t do these things to look good in front of the children! I don’t need them to say thank you, I just want them to be happy...

Anyway, we went there last week, on Friday, with my friend. And we ended up in a 2-hour long monologue... (Ok, to be honest, we said, from time to time, something like “sure”, “yes” or something like that... :)) The monologue was led, from the biggest part, I’d say, by the head of the institution (and for a while also by another man working there). It was so awkward (as much as this word looks awkward :))!!! I just want you to know how you can end up if you’re trying to be good, that’s why I share this story with you here :)

Imagine... You come somewhere, brought by goodwill :), you just want to give what you have, without being thanked to, without being told how nice it is of you, and you get stuck there in a situation absolutely uncomfortable, that makes you stop wanting to do anything nice again. We were told, about ten times, that people always remember the kids during Christmas time as if they didn’t exist for the rest of the year... “But of course we’re happy for anything and we aren’t ungrateful!” Ehm... You’re sitting there and you don’t know what to say, because it’s kinda directed at you, but it isn’t really, and you just don’t care because it’s bull*hit... I’m obviously a student... Those of you who know me know that I look younger than I really am. My friend, although older than me, doesn’t make the impression of a filthy rich person who could be giving money to anyone less fortunate every single day, but doesn’t do so because she’s too lazy to do that... She is not!!! So – why was he telling us? If he really had to say something, this wasn’t really the best thing to be said...

Then, we heard hundreds of complaints on everything. The children, the parents, the laws, and yes, of course, all these businessmen who don’t care about kids when it isn’t Christmas (And here – if somebody gives an institution like this money in December, does it really make such a big difference? Is the money worth less? I know they need money pretty much always, but they don’t have to spend them all in December, right?) I’m so sorry I have to say that but both the men were more feminine then I’d like... And to my surprise, the complaints on the children were just so silly – I’m sure they have to deal with serious stuff so often... But to complain about the kids from these institutions that they don’t know the value of anything and that it’s because they’re staying there... I’m not saying he didn’t have some good arguments, he did. But when you look around, you can see that it’s a general problem nowadays, it isn’t just THEM (just making them different for one more reason, which isn’t even true). And then the other guy said, talking about clothes and brand names etc.: “Oh, at home, I already gave up telling my kids that they don’t need to wear everything “branded”... My son is 20 and he’s got his salary, but still...” I was just thinking – wow, that’s so nice of you that you don’t tell your adult son what he should and shouldn’t wear.... And here again – that probably results from his job. I can’t imagine my mom would take somebody she had never seen before into my room, without my permission, and telling them “just come here, have a look” – but they did and we were kinda forced into it... I must say that I didn’t like it because I wouldn’t like it if it was me... I mean – some of the kids are about 15, they need some privacy, no people walking into their rooms as they please... The intention was probably good, I don’t know, the outcome was not.

And I think I could go on and on and my friend would definitely add some more things too. It isn’t that I don’t want to do anything like that again... It’s just that next time, I’ll rather mail them everything, to prevent myself from getting into such weird situations... Also, they kinda think that every outsider coming there must be shocked at what they see, surprised, seeing something extremely sad and terrible... At least that’s what I got from their talks (and I must admit I wasn’t paying much attention sometimes :)). It is sad, of course, but not what you see – the story behind each child who has to be there is sad, but the place as such is quite nice. And what makes them think that we have never been to places which are so much worse? Seen situations which are so much more terrible? Is the rest of the world only people who have everything, live nice and comfortable lives and help them during Christmas time to make themselves feel better? It doesn’t really matter, I guess... And well, the whole message of this very long post is this: they gave us both a ‘wonderful’ headache. :) And if you ever go to this place, be prepared for the same, because it seemed to me as a regularly given lecture to anyone who wants to help. ;)

PS: L. – thank you for driving me there and back ;)

0 comments:

Places I've been through, travelled through, live at...
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com