Explore. Dream. Discover.

Monday, February 25, 2008

The "retirees' in public transportation syndrome" ...


... is international. Those of you who use the public transport system (and now I'm mixing British and American English, have you noticed that? :)) often know what I'm talking about. People seated comfortably suddenly start to stand up and leave their seats and move to the doors, despite the fact that they still have way too much time before the tram/bus/train/trolley-bus (pretty much anything that moves people from point A to point B) actually stops. I call it the "retirees' in PT syndrome" because it usually applies to a certain population group. Guess which one :)
It's ok when the vehicle is empty enough so that everyone can sit and there's enough space for the ones who need to be at the doors first to move there. It isn't ok when the vehicle is crowded and you yourself don't have any space around you where you could move to let those people go where they want.
Of course, as a Brno student, I have this experience from there (I think I coined the term in one of the Brno trams - and I admit that there might have been people before me using the term, I just don't know about them :)). In Stellenbosch, there was no public transport in the town. But in Pittsburgh, there is. Probably not the best one in the world but it is here and I've actually already used it three times (plus this one time when we used the CMU shuttle but I think it doesn't count :))! And the very first time I had the opportunity to see that the syndrome mentioned above is truly international! It made me laugh and get angry at the same time. The bus was really crowded and these people moving... without actually leaving the bus really drive me crazy. Am I supposed to become a bat or something and get to the roof?? Like how - really - do they think this can work? I mean... it always works for them, but I just hate it... :) Anyway, it's funny to see that it's international. And it's also funny to see that the word "retiree" in the name of the syndrome isn't really accurate sometimes... No, it actually isn't funny, it's sad. But it's better to laugh at those people and not cry, right? So let's join in the struggle and laugh at them every time they do it again! :)))

4 comments:

fafner said...

I hope you don't think too much less of me...but I'm pretty sure I was one of those people most of the time I was in Prague. Jonathan and I would start freaking out and think we'd miss our stop, so we'd be constantly poised to get off the tram. We'd try to sit near the exit so we wouldn't have to stand, but sometimes that just wasn't an option!

I am ashamed of my actions.

Barbora said...

Haha, Susan, don't worry, I'll make an exception with tourists, it isn't really the same thing. You can't have the syndrome unless you're familiar with the stops and you know where you need to leave. :) Your case is very very different! I think of you as much as before, don't worry! :)

Anonymous said...

I am the same way and just to be sure, I ask the driver as well:)))))))))))))))))
In france, for example.
Will never forget how the bus was leaving and got to it, lifted hands in this internatinally understood gesture indicating please and the driver, with a totally annoyed face, opened the door. After a hesitation, of course, the French must never lose their dignity and aristocratic manners, of course...
Hey cannot wait to borrow you that book! Each evening I cuddle up in bed, happy to be reading (I cannot actually believe this?!:) and I always laugh...It is hysterical!!!!!
Fille chocolat

Barbora said...

Ok, let's make it clear :) It's ok if you aren't local. :) I mean... I'm the weirdo here, I'd say... When I went to Denmark and Jirka wasn't waiting for me at the airport, I had no idea which stop is the one I need + they don't stop if you don't press a button... I actually thought it was funny. And once, also, I missed the stop and had to walk back then. This was even funnier.
But if you're a local and you still do that, I don't think we can be friends, haha :)))

Places I've been through, travelled through, live at...
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com