Explore. Dream. Discover.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Stories from the tour and the road trip will come soon...

My dear friends, very soon, I'll be writing about the tour and the road trip. And because the next post is probably going to be about our first day on the road, I think this is the right time to write something that would officially "end" my Stellenbosch life. Because even though I went to Stellenbosch for one night couple of days before I left the country and went home, to the Czech Republic, it wasn't the same place anymore. And I'd like to say why as there are people who read this and who might be happy to read what I'm going to write. :)

Stellenbosch wasn't the same when the people, who made my life there so nice, left. The first one was Cat who saved me the first week I spent in South Africa from being homesick and sad and showed me places and I simply knew, all the time I was there, even later, when I already felt home in Stellenbosch, that she would help me if I needed because she's my friend (after almost 2 years I hadn't seen her, it was so nice to meet her again and find out that she's still that great girl who was my roommate in Canada :)).

And then the people who were in the "international students" group with me and who soon became my friends with whom I shared stories, troubles, evenings, favourite books etc.
Geral who lived just next door and with whom I spent the April holiday, shared food and ideas and with whom, I believe, I developed a friendship that would last forever. She's the special person, the special friend who makes you think that it's so strange that you know some people for ages and you're friends with them but then you meet somebody new and after a few weeks you know that this person is really going to be your great friend.
Jill with whom I watched Lost until 5 am every day until we were done with the last episode and then talked to Jacob... :) Thanks to her (and Susan's laptop) I discovered the magic of That 70's Show. Together, we found out how hard it is to eat 8 pieces of toasts and that it makes you feel really sick. She wrote a poem for me which is really great (it's going to published here if she agrees with it :)), she travelled with me, sometimes she fed me and she was super crazy and made me laugh a lot.
Susan, who didn't live with us but lived with us. :) Her gestures and using of hands to describe anything actually made us (me and Jill and also Jirka, although he barely met her :)) laugh (but in a good way) even when she was gone already for some time. Susan, whom we started to call "Short Susan" just to make fun of her and because it sounds good. :) And she tried to persuade us that she isn't that short. Susan who introduced me to the magic of The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber, a book that I've read 3 times already and that I would have never found if I hadn't met Susan.

And there are many more things that made these girls so special for me, even though each one of them in a different way. And I believe that without them, my stay in Stellenbosch wouldn't have been so great.

And then the Saudi Arabian guys, especially Suliman and Waleed. Suliman who never drinks alcohol and thus can't eat a dessert when you tell him there's rum in it. Who almost died when he was saving his brother from the ocean. Who was one hour late once to pick us up and his explanation was **** which we will probably never know what it meant.
And Waleed who is always singing in the car, who loves parties and people and who says that he's in contact with people while working, although he works as a programmer so we have no idea how he does it. :)

And this post is already too long. :) But well, these people and some more made Stellenbosch the great place to be during the last semester. And when some of them left, the place wasn't the same anymore (and is probably never going to be the same anymore). And all I wanted to say by this post is thank you to them and that it was great and although it's over it was definitely worth it and I'll always remember it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss them (and you!) all as well. I met a girl from around Malaga the other day; she talked like Geraldine and it made me really happy. Unfortunately, she turned out to be kind of boring.

Did you get my email the other day? I replied to yours, so hopefully it went through.

-Susan

Places I've been through, travelled through, live at...
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com