Explore. Dream. Discover.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

THE TOUR: Day 8 - Spitzkoppe - the place I'll never forget...

This was one of my favourite days because Spitzkoppe was one of my favourite places. Amazing, awesome, magic...
But from the beginning. We were leaving Swakop not earlier than 10:30 but I woke up at 7:30 (as I said before - it's very hard for me to sleep in a room for 10 people). After breakfast, we went to do some shopping (mainly for water as there was not going to be any water at the next camp site) and went to the seaside for a walk. And we walked and walked and took some pictures and then got on Harrison, which was cleaned (i.e. without sand :)), and left Swakop for good.

We got to the camp around lunch time and had lunch. The camp site was wonderful - there was nothing (and no people), just the rocks around. Well, there was a "toilet" but nobody was really using it as it really smelled. There were plenty of bushes, though, so it was ok. :)
I guess I should tell you something about Spitzkoppe. Some people say that it looks similar to the Australian Uluru (Ayers Rock) but I cannot tell because I've never been to Australia. :) In any case, it's amazing. Imagine you're in Namibia for a week and see nothing, nothing, nothing (but this nothing is beautiful), sand, sand, sand, a weird tree from time to time, and then in the middle of the nothing, there are suddenly red rocks. I loved that place!

After lunch, we went to see the San rock art (the San were one of the local African tribes) - pictures on the rocks that the San people drew there during some rituals. Spitzkoppe was actually a sacred place for them so they went there only to perform these rituals (otherwise they were scared), during which they used some drugs and then they were drawing pictures that don't make much sense. :)
We had to go up quite a steep rock, but it was worth it. And then some of us joined Jan who had a special trail somewhere... That was lots of fun, really, and we got much higher so that we could see much more (of the nothing? :))

After we got back to the camp, we didn't stay there for too long as it was time for another beautiful African sunset and so we went to another rock from which it was nice to watch it. We spent some time there and then got back to the camp and did all these usual things like having dinner, not having shower and so on...
But this is not all!!! This time (and it was the only time for me) we slept outside! The guides told us it was probably the best place to do so, also safe (though they didn't forget to tell us some scary stories. One was that hyenas ate a boy in front of his mother. Too late to save him... And the other was rather funny - there was a black cat in the camp site. I really wondered how it got there, but it was there, trying to get some food and stuff. The guides said it had been there for some time already and that last time it jumped at somebody sleeping outside right at the moment when the guy opened his eyes. Funny now, I guess I wouldn't find it funny if I was that guy :) Oh, and I would forget - they also said that you can hear voices coming from the rocks at night.)
So we did sleep outside and I loved it! You're watching the stars and you actually don't want to fall asleep as there were so many of them, plus so many shooting stars... Wow... How I miss Spitzkoppe now... So I'm not going to write anything more. And if you want to know more... go there and see it yourself!!! :)

PS: Photos coming soon. ;)

0 comments:

Places I've been through, travelled through, live at...
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com