Explore. Dream. Discover.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sorry, Croatia!


In my mind, Croatia had been one of those countries full of tourists lying on crowded beaches with nothing more to offer. How wrong was I! Seriously, I am sorry, Croatia, that I had thought of you as such a country as the opposite is true.

This was the first time for me in Croatia, which all the people who were there with us found funny... Anyway - I went with my parents, my nieces and 11 other people, mostly my parents' friends from university. We spent a week at Vir, a nice island with perfectly clean (and incredibly salty) sea. I admit I didn't do much (but I enjoyed doing that :)) but still... just swimming a little farther offered a wonderful view of the mountains of the island Pag. And driving through the continental part of Croatia offered lots of beautiful views as well.

The water was salty and the weather was warm and sunny, which, of course, had to have some effects on my skin that is very allergy-prone. I still enjoyed it, though. I had lots of fun watching Marketka jumping into the sea and swimming like crazy (she's the happiest child in the world when in water), trying to make Lucka swim (she's afraid of water still), sending them both for ice-cream (yes, they are able to buy ice-cream in Croatia by themselves, Lucka can even say thanks in Croatian :)) when we found out that the scoops are much bigger when a kid is the buyer. :) We also had fun watching Croatian and other tourist lying on the pier from which Marketka was jumping into the sea... Imagine - there's a tiny little child in an orange lifejacket running across the pier without even slowing down and jumping into the sea. With no adults around. There was always a tourist of various nationality looking puzzled, obviously thinking if he/she should jump into the sea and save the child. Then Marketka got out of the water and jumped again. What followed was always a relieved laughter of the tourist. And our amused laughter.

Also - Croatian ice-cream is great and although it's more expensive than here, it's worth it as they don't care how much they give you. They simply give you as much as they can. On the other hand, Croatian shop assistants are about 100% worse than the Czech ones. They probably never heard of the little nice thing called smile. But that's ok, I can forgive them, I was on holidays and didn't care. :)

To sum up - go to Croatia, if you can. Try to avoid the too crowded areas. The part of Vir where we stayed was great - the house we all occupied was right next to the beach so we didn't have to take anything with us when we went for a swim as we had a huge terrace just for us, what a luxury! Also, "our" sea was usually really "ours" as people tended not to stay there, although it was probably the cleanest part. I did like the place a lot. :) (Picture will come soon.)

I'd love to go to Croatia to travel around a little to see more of the beauties of this diverse (naturally) country. And please, don't underestimate the country as I did! :)

PS: Croatians did a wonderful job with their new highway, it's seriously amazing.

0 comments:

Places I've been through, travelled through, live at...
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com